St. George’s is a Roman Catholic Voluntary Aided school serving the Parish of St.
George, and situated in a mainly residential area on the south side of the City of
York. The school is for boys and girls aged 3-11 with an Early Years Unit for 3-5
The pupils come from a wide range of backgrounds and many are drawn from
outside the parish because parents, although not all Catholics, are attracted by
the school’s inclusive and caring ethos.
Head Teacher’s Welcome
Welcome to St. George’s School web site. We hope that, through its pages, you gain
an insight into the life and work of our
Our School’s History
Although girls had been educated at the Bar Convent since its inception in 1686 the
first public Catholic School in York was opened by the Institute of the Blessed Virgin
Mary in 1844 on their premises in Blossom Street and called ‘St Mary’s Day School’.
Please note that all children whose photographs appear on this web site will not
be named. It is our policy to celebrate the achievements of our pupils, but we will
not compromise on safety or security.
It’s lovely to see signs of Spring around our school.